Best ATV Clutch Kit: For Better ATV Performance
If you are looking to get the most out of your ATV, then a ATV clutch kit is an excellent investment. It will improve the acceleration of your vehicle and reduce belt heat from reaching dangerous levels. In addition, it improves backshifting for improved performance when going up hills or around corners. It depends on the make and model of your all-terrain vehicle. You need to research your ATV’s specifications before deciding.
This article will discuss the types of clutching kits available for your ATV. It will also discuss their importance and offer a buying guide to help you select the best for your vehicle.
In the clutch drum/bell, there are 19 splines, and the outside diameter is 136mm, while the inner diameter is 125mm in the spline region.
In This Article
What is an ATV clutch Kit?
It is a collection of parts that work together to improve the performance of your machine. The ATV clutch kit includes a new plate, springs, and bearings. It may also include a new belt or other components. Its purpose is to improve the acceleration and reduce belt heat on your ATV. They also improve the back shifting, which is essential for climbing hills or maneuvering around corners. It also helps your vehicle to have more torque and power within the powerband. Therefore, you can go faster and get up steep hills more easily.
How does ATV clutch work?
As the clutch is engaged, the pressure plate forces the disk against a flywheel. It creates friction and allows your vehicle to begin running. When you release the lever, it disengages from the disk allowing your machine to the coast or continues at idle speed. The motor will continue running as long as the clamp is disengaged. If you press the lever in too quickly, it will cause your vehicle to lurch or jump. It can be dangerous and cause you to lose control of your vehicle. Therefore, you need to be smooth when pressing the lever to ensure a safe ride.
5 Best ATV Clutch Kit Recommendation and Reviews
Here we review the top 5 ATV clutch kit in the market based on comfort, durability, budget, and quality. Check out our details product features and other information which will help you to decide the suitable one.
1. KiWAV Universal Throttle Clutch Kit ATV
KiWAV is a company that specializes in the design and manufacture of off-road vehicle parts and accessories. One of their latest offerings is the Universal Throttle Clutch Kit, which is designed to improve the performance of your ATV. This emergency clutch kit is an easy and organized way to store a 1mm and 1.5mm thick cable, along with the most common nipple fittings, making it universal for any cable-operated vehicle. Keep it in your saddlebag, seat, or even your back pocket so you’re always prepared on the road.
- Bringing an emergency clutch & brake cable repair kit, never get stuck again. This kit contains a 1mm and a 1.5mm thick cables and most common nipple fittings(barrel, pear, trunnion, slotted, screw type, etc), making this kit universal.
- Easy and organized to store this kit with a metal case. Get one for your saddlebag, seat or even your back pocket.
- Be prepared on the road every single time. Not just for yourself but a needing help stranded on the roadside biker dude, take out this repair kit and give him a hand.
- universal fit for any cable operated vehicles like motorcycles, scooters, bicycles, ATV, or golf carts.
- universal fit for most motorcycles, Brake cable: 1.5(0.06") mm dia. * 200cm. Clutch cable: 1.2(0.046") mm dia. * 200cm. 9 different sizes of clamp nipples.
Overall, the KiWAV Universal Throttle Clutch Kit is a great emergency clutch kit that is easy to use and compact enough to take with you wherever you go.
2. Go Kart Clutch Kit 3/4 Bore
This centrifugal clutch is perfect for go-karts, minibikes, ATVs, and other small engine vehicles. It’s made of high-grade steel and can withstand the friction and heat caused by the engine. The 12T clutch has a broached keyway and fits Honda GX160, GX200, GX140, GX120, GC160, GC190, Harbor Freight Greyhound 196cc, Harbor Freight Predator 212cc, Briggs and Stratton Tecumseh engines with 3/4” shafts. This clutch kit is a great option if you’re looking for an affordable and reliable centrifugal clutch. It’s made of high-grade steel, so it can withstand the friction and heat caused by the engine.
- Centrifugal Clutch 3/4” Bore 12 Tooth for 35 Chain, Common clutch for 2-6.5 HP engines 2300 RPM. The 12T clutch has a broached 3/16" keyway with two set screw holes located 90 degrees apart
- Our go-kart clutch is made of high-grade steel, heavy-duty and long lasting. It can withstand the strain and heat caused by friction, once the clutch engages
- Perfect for Go Kart, Minibike and Fun Kart. Fits Honda GX160, GX200, GX 140, GX120, GC160, GC190, Harbor Freight Greyhound 196cc, Harbor Freight Predator 212cc, briggs and Stratton Tecumseh engines and 2-6.5 HP with 3/4” shaft
- Also fits any other engines with 3/4 crank shaft and 3/16” key way, most 5.5 HP clones, 6.5 HP clones and 4-7HP motors in all brands
- Go cart clutch kit includes two set screws, but chain is not included. The two set screw holes are tapped 1/4"-28
It fits a variety of engines, so it’s sure to work with the one you have. Plus, it’s made of high-grade steel, so it can withstand the friction and heat caused by the engine.
3. CLEO Clutch Assembly Rear Clutch Kit ATV
This CLEO Clutch Assembly Rear is a direct replacement for the GY6 125cc and 150cc 4-Stroke Engine Scooter. It has 19 splines inside the clutch drum/bell and an OD of 136mm, with an ID of 125mm at the spline area. The pulley diameter is 140mm. Make sure to check pictures and measurements before ordering to ensure this is the correct clutch for your application. This clutch is a great option if you need to replace your old or damaged clutch.
- Fits GY6 125cc and 150cc 4-Stroke Engine
- 19 Splines Inside The Clutch Drum/Bell
- OD of Drum: 136mm；ID of Drum: 125mm
- ID of spline area: 14.4mm；Pulley Diameter: 140mm
- Check Pictures And Measurements To Be SureThis Is The Correct Clutch For Your Application.
This CLEO Clutch Assembly Rear is a direct replacement for the GY6 125cc and 150cc 4-Stroke Engine Scooter. It has 19 splines inside the clutch drum/bell and an OD of 136mm, with an ID of 125mm at the spline area.
4. JINFANNIBI Complete Clutch Kit
This is a complete clutch kit with heavy-duty springs and a gasket. It is compatible with Honda Sportrax 400 TRX400EX 2×4 1999-2008, TRX400X 2×4 2012-2014/2009. One set contains friction plates, steel separator plates, springs, and a gasket. High quality and packaging. Each part is manufactured using the best materials and high technology to assure long engine life and the most efficient performance.
- Compatible with Honda Sportrax 400 TRX400EX 2x4 1999-2008
- Compatible with TRX400X 2x4 2012-2014/2009
- One set Contains Friction Plates Steel Separator Plates Springs and Gasket High-quality and Packaging
- Each Part is Manufactured Using the Best Materials and High Technology to Assure Long Engine Life and the Most Efficient Performance
- Email Us While You Have Any Questions
This is a complete clutch kit with heavy-duty springs and a gasket. One set contains friction plates, steel separator plates, springs, and a gasket. Each part is manufactured using the best materials and high technology to assure long engine life and the most efficient performance.
5. FDJ Predator 212 Clutch Bolts and Nuts Kit
This FDJ Predator 212 Clutch 12 Tooth Mini Bike Clutch 3/4 is perfect for go-karts, minibikes, and other vehicles. It fits Honda GX160, GX200, GX140, GX120, GC160, GC190, Harbor Freight Greyhound 196cc, Harbor Freight Predator 212cc, Briggs and Stratton Tecumseh Engines 2-6.5 HP with 3/4” shafts. The clutch also fits any other engine with a 3/4 crankshaft and a 12 tooth drive sprocket. It is made of high-quality materials and includes bolts and nuts.
- Go Kart Clutch 3/4 Bore 12T for 35 Chain, Perfect for Go Kart, Minibike and Fun Kart Engine 3/4 Bar
- Centrifugal Clutch Fits Honda GX160, GX200, GX 140, GX120, GC160, GC190, Harbor Freight Greyhound 196cc, Harbor Freight Predator 212cc, Briggs and Stratton Tecumseh Engines 2-6.5 HP with 3/4” shaft
- Mini Bike Clutch Fits Any Other Engines with 3/4 Crank Shaft and 3/16” Keyway, Most 5.5 HP Clones, 6.5 HP Clones and 4-7HP Motors in All Brands
- Double Protection: Predator Engine Go Kart Clutch Bolt,Washer,Screws and Allen Wrench are All Included. Mounts Onto Crankshaft Using Bolt and Washer on the End of the Crankshaft and Using Screws Set for Double Secures Your Clutch to the Engine
- OEM Replacement Quality: Made of Quality Iron Material, Which is Lightweight, Portable, Sturdy, Durable, Maximum Torque, Wear-resisting and Fast Heat Dissipation
It is made of high-grade steel, so it can withstand the friction and heat caused by the engine. It fits a variety of engines, so it’s sure to work with the one you have. Plus, it includes bolts and nuts, so you don’t have to worry about finding them yourself.
There are several things that need consideration before choosing the right product for your vehicle. Considering these factors enables you to find the best for your vehicle and get the most out of it. These include:
Size of the engine
Each size needs a specific one that suits it. For example, you cannot install the same clutch on an 18-inch and 21-inch one because it is not compatible with the amount of torque that they produce. An undersized or oversized one can cause serious problems for your vehicle by overheating its belt. Therefore, it is best to find a product that is specifically designed for the size of your motor.
Type of riding
The type of riding that you do also determines the best clutching for your machine. If your riding style is mostly on flat ground, a single disc will be ideal because it provides less resistance and allows quick acceleration. However, if you enjoy riding in rough terrains or going up steep hills often, then a multi-disc clamp is better because it provides more torque and strength.
Another vital consideration is buying a branded set designed specifically for your ATV. You can get better performance from an original, aftermarket, or universal one because they are compatible with different engines. It will also provide you with precise fitment and will be easy to install because it is designed specifically for your ATV make and model.
The make and model of your ATV
Not all of them are compatible with ATVs. You need to find one specifically designed for your machine. For example, a four-wheeler can have a different one than a UTV that has only two wheels. Considering the make and model of your vehicle will ensure that you find the right product for your needs.
Your level of experience
Different tools are appropriate for different riders. If you are a beginner, it is best to choose one that is easy to install and does not require too much adjustment. More experienced riders can opt for more complex ones, but they might require more time to fit and adjust. One that is easy to use will make riding safer for beginners, while experienced riders can update their rides with a new clutching system.
How much do you wish to spend on the product? You need to consider your budget to avoid overspending. There are many different kits available on the market at varying prices. Some are more affordable than others, but you need to find the best that meets your needs. Remember, not all expensive ones are the best, and not all inexpensive ones are bad. You just need to find the right one for your needs and budget.
The age of your vehicle
New tools are designed to improve the acceleration, backshifting, and other functions in new vehicles or those with low mileage on them. You should not fit a new one on an older vehicle because it will have already experienced considerable wear and tear. The age of your vehicle will determine whether you can fix a new one or if it is better to replace it with an old one.
The size of your vehicle
You may have a small, medium, or large off-road vehicle. The size of your vehicle will determine the clutching system you need to buy. Smaller vehicles benefit from smaller systems because they provide less resistance and backshift easily. However, larger ATVs need more torque and power to achieve high speeds and climb steep hills.
The number of riders
Each rider puts a different amount of stress on the clutch because they weigh differently due to their size, age, gender, etc. When you go riding with your friends or family, you need to take into account how many people will be in the vehicle. The more riders there are, the more stress is put on the clutching system and can cause it to wear down faster.
When do you need to upgrade your ATVs clutch kit?
You need to upgrade when your current one is not performing as well as it used to. You will know you need to upgrade when you notice:
Engine running hotter than usual
When the motor runs hotter than usual, it is a sign the components are wearing out. You need to have it replaced before you risk damaging your vehicle. It can cause further damage and costly repairs down the road.
A foul smell coming from your all-terrain vehicle is another sign that you need to replace it. It can mean that there are contaminants in your oil or belt system, which cause the smell. Replacing these parts and upgrading your, it will help reduce this issue.
Lurching occurs when you accelerate quickly
A properly working clutch will not cause this problem because it is engaged gradually. If you accelerate too quickly, then the motor will not have time to power up, and your lurches or jumps as a result. It can be dangerous for drivers of all skill levels. It also causes stress on drivetrain components since it does not allow them enough time to engage before you release the lever again.
A slipping belt means that one of two things has happened. Either the clamp is not grabbing onto the belt properly or the belt is slipping off of the pulleys. In either case, it is a sign that you need to replace it. Slipping can cause serious damage to your initiator and other drivetrain components if left unchecked.
An old or worn-out clutch will not provide the best performance for your vehicle. Newer models are designed to last longer with little wear and tear, but they still require tune-ups every once in a while. When the material of the disk wears down too much, it will start to slip and not grip the flywheel as well. It can cause your motor to overheat or create dangerous belt conditions. So, if you are experiencing any of these problems, it is time for an upgrade.
Why is a clutch Kit important for ATV riders?
There are many benefits that a rider experiences. These include:
Reducing belt heat
They help in reducing belt heat that can be dangerous to the rider. The new plate, springs, and bearings work together to improve how your clutch works. It means that less heat is transferred to the belt, which keeps it cooler for a longer period of time.
They also help in improving the acceleration of your vehicle. Once the new parts are installed, it will be able to reach its top speed more quickly. It does this by reducing the amount of slippage that occurs when the clamp is engaged. Therefore, more power from mods and torque is transferred to the wheels, which allows your machine to move faster.
Improving back shifting
The product also helps in improving back shifting by balancing weights for better performance when going up hills or around corners. With a better-functioning backshift, your vehicle will be able to maintain its speed and navigate through obstacles more easily.
Enhancing the look of the bike
Some of them include new components that can enhance the look of your vehicle. For an improved appearance, you need to consider one that includes a new belt, cover, or other stylish components. It should also be compatible with your make and model of UTV. It is a great way to improve the appearance of your vehicle and make it stand out from the rest.
In addition, they improve the safety of your machine. They do this by reducing belt heat and improving the acceleration and backshifting. A new one will allow you to drive more smoothly and safely, which is important when you are riding with friends or family members. It gives you better weight control and keeps you safe while enjoying your drive.
Types of ATV clutch Kits
There are various types in the market that you can buy for your machine. These include:
Friction clutching kits
Friction ones are common on the market. They work by sending metal-to-metal contact creating resistance and back shifting. However, friction clutches wear down faster than others because they use more materials in their designs and cause more heat and wear over time. They also require more maintenance because they need to be adjusted regularly.
Slippage clutching system
The slippage clutching system is the most expensive option on the market, but it also provides you with better acceleration and less back shifting. Slippage clutches are made from materials that allow them to grip tightly without creating too much heat. It requires less maintenance than friction clutches, but it is not as common on the market.
Hydraulic clutch kits
Hydraulic ones use fluid to transmit power from the core to the wheels. They are ideal for those who ride in all types of conditions because they can handle more stress and wear. They are also easier to fit and adjust than others. The hydraulic system comes with a master cylinder, slave cylinder, reservoir, belts, and lines. It replaces the plates with a master cylinder and slave cylinder.
These are some of the best on the market. They use a centrifugal force to increase the clamping power on the belt. They are ideal for riders in difficult terrain who want better performance from their ATVs. It is also easy to position and adjusts.
Centrifugal and semi-centrifugal clutch systems
Centrifugal and semi-centrifugal clutch ones are very similar to positive clutching ones. They also use centrifugal force to increase the belt pressure, but they do not provide more low-end power or performance than other types of clutches on the market.
Pros and Cons
Pros and cons of a clutch kit
- It improves the acceleration of your vehicle and improves throttle control. It enables you to drive through a mud hole without difficulty.
- It reduces wear on your ATV engines parts because it takes the stress off.
- The clutches reduce belt slippage and heating enabling your vehicle to last longer.
- It improves back shifting, which reduces stress on your ATV’s transmission system and other parts.
- It also enhances the safety, appearance, and performance of your all-terrain vehicle.
- They are expensive to buy for some people so they may be out of reach.
- They may cause more wear and tear on the vehicle over time due to the extra stress they put on the engines.
- The installation is not easy for everyone and may require professional help.
Enhance Your Performance With Epi Clutch Kit
Epi offers the best clutch kit for ATV stock machines. The kits are designed to improve the performance of the tire while reducing belt heat and wear. They are an excellent option for people with ATVs that have larger tires with more resistance. The product is easy to mount, adjust, and maintain on your own. Epi clutch kits have the following features:
- They are a great design made from high-quality materials enabling them to last longer.
- They are easy to assemble and do not require any professional help thus saving you time and money.
- It is adjustable so you can customize it to suit the needs of your vehicle.
- It reduces the chance of belt slip due to its tight grip on the belt that holds your ATV engines’ parts together.
- The epi clutch is made from materials that do not create too much heat or wear over time, which ensures that it will last longer than others on the market today.
- It is compatible with all types of ATVs and engines across a range of different brands including Arctic Cat, Polaris, and Honda.
- The positive engagement provides for better throttle response and a smooth transmission power delivery without jerking or hesitation, which saves you energy and improves your driving experience.
- Epi clutch comes with a lifetime warranty, which guarantees that you are getting the best product on the market.
Is a clutch required for my ATV?
Yes, it is necessary. It is the component that connects the engine to the driveshaft and transmits power to the wheels. Thus improving the acceleration and back shifting. It also reduces wear on engines’ parts, enhances the safety, appearance, and performance of your vehicle.
What is the cost of a replacement clutch on a four-wheeler?
The replacement cost varies depending on the make and model of the four-wheeler. The cost is approximately $300 for a high-end all-terrain vehicle and $150 for an entry-level one.
What are clutch kits and how do they work?
They are a set of components that work together to increase the power and performance of your vehicle. They are made up of plates, a cover, and a basket. The plates are compressed between the cover and the basket by centrifugal force which improves back shifting, belt heat, and wear.
They work by using centrifugal force to increase belt pressure which improves acceleration, back shifting, and wear on motor parts. There is a variety available on the market today including positive engagement, centrifugal and semi-centrifugal, and hydraulic.
How do I check my ATV clutch?
To check your clutch, you can start by looking at the tension of the belt. If it is loose and slips often, then it may be worn out or need adjustment. You should also check if the heat produced during driving has increased over time. In addition, look for any unusual noises while running such as squealing sounds from the initiator.
You can adjust it by checking the tightness of each tensioner bolt to ensure they are not too loose or too tight. You should also check if all bolts are properly tightened and aligned. If there is any excess play in the belt at this point then it is time for a new one.
Having a super clutch kit installed on your vehicle is essential. It improves the performance and durability of your vehicle while also saving you time and money. It is easy to put in place, adjust, and maintain on your own. Therefore, you need to select the most compatible one for your ATV to enjoy all the benefits.
About the Author
Eric Riley is a true ATV enthusiast. He has been using ATVs for years and knows his way around them like the back of his hand. He’s passionate about what he does, and loves sharing that passion with other people who are interested in learning more or buying their first ATV.