Best Winch BatteryThat Give a Jolt and Surge
Best Battery for Winching in the 21st Century
Think of a winch and a battery as a couple that is dating one another. They both must match up if the courtship is going to work out. If there is a mismatch, then it will be over fast, probably in as little time as an hour or an hour-and-a-half. In the case of a winch and a battery mismatch, the end can come much quicker, like five or ten minutes.
What We Will Learn In This Article
6 Best ATV Winch Battery For the Money
First impressions are everything. Both dating and battery winching are one-on-one situations, and playing to your strengths in both situations gives you your best shot. Strong acceleration on the pedal is your best shot at drawing current from the battery to make a lasting connection to get the job done. Anything short of strong pedal acceleration can translate into a dead battery. You don’t want this because a dead battery puts your vehicle out of business completely. Then, not only is your winching job incomplete, but you also will be calling a towing company for road service.
The combined total effort of both an alternator and a battery, have to generate enough electrical current to allow for a successful winching transaction. A battery that can withstand wear and tear and still offer stability in its performance throughout the 2020 decade is the best battery for winching. The six batteries below give you the most realistic shot at working out in the long-term, whether winching, operating your vehicle, or both.
1. Optima Batteries 8040-218 D35 Dual Purpose Battery
Instinct is everything, and when working with anyone or anything, you usually know what you got on day number one. Such is the case with the Optima Batteries 8040-218 D35 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery – it’s the head of its class. This is both a think fast and work fast battery with lead purity that administers electric current fairly. Even on a bad blizzard weather day, this Optima battery makes good grades with its 620 Cold Cranking Amps. Be sure that this battery is not going be bullied or pushed around by any influencer, as its enhanced resistance to vibration sets the tone for maximum control. Conveying 98 minutes Reserve Capacity, this winch battery puts out more than enough Amp energy to complete all winching tasks, making it the best battery for winching. Backed by outstanding tightly wound spiral cell organization, the glass mat division and compression keeps acid from falling out.
- 12-Volt, 620 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 9 5/16" x 6 13/16" x 7 5/8" tall, Weight: 36.4 pounds, SAE Post,.300+ discharge/recharge cycles
- 98 minutes reserve capacity for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather; the positive or red terminal is located to the right
- Fifteen times more resistant to vibration for durability
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
This battery provides optimal resistance to vibration while still giving consistent electrical current flow.
2. Optima Batteries 8014-045 D34/78 Dual Purpose Battery
Where doubt is reduced is where hope abounds. The Optima Batteries 8014-045 D34/78 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery is the Michael Jordan of all vehicle batteries, providing you with a certainty of hope. Given a pressure situation, when the game is on the line, this battery is going to come through for you in the clutch. You can count on this battery to provide you with top-level electrical performance in low-level winter temperatures with its 750 Cold Cranking Amps. It’s the best winch battery because it’s the most ideal and most equipped battery to deal with frigid wind chill conditions. Optima’s 120 minutes Reserve Capacity gives you longevity to be competitive in overtime periods of use. This is a multi-dimensional battery equipped to assist winches and score high volumes on audio systems output.
- 12-Volt, 750 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10" x 6 7/8" x 7 13/16" tall, Weight: 43.5 pounds, Dual SAE & GM Post
- Reserve capacity of 120 minutes for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather. Case Material: Polypropylene.Internal Resistance: 0.0028
- Fifteen times more resistant to vibration for durability. Post type is Dual SAE/GM
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
Definitely the battery to get if you need dependability during an exceptionally long winter season.
3. Optima Batteries 8003 – 151 34R RedTop Starting Battery
Like any successful give and take relationship, you only get out of your vehicle what you put into your vehicle. The Optima Batteries 8003-151 34R RedTop Starting Battery brings you a lasting commitment to be there for you not only in good times, but in bad times when you need it the most. Designed specifically to accommodate off road driving, this Optima battery is best suited and prepared to work in harmony with a winch, making it the best ATV winch battery for when your vehicle hits a bump in the road. Its 800 Cold Cranking Amps establishes maximum connection helping your vehicle function and provide warmth to you as you go through those cold hard winter nights. With a low internal resistance of 0.003 it is going to be extremely difficult for anything to come between this model Optima battery and the starting of your engine. With a Reserve Capacity of 100 minutes it’s guaranteed to last long enough to accomplish and fulfill all winching duties.
- 12-Volt, 800 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10" x 6 7/8" x 7 13/16" tall, Weight: 37.9 pounds, SAE Post
- Reserve capacity of 100 minutes for constant performance
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather. Internal Resistance:0.003
- Fifteen times more resistant to vibration for durability
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
This battery is best suited for drivers who like to travel alternative routes such as a bumpy dirt road.
4. ACDelco 48AGM Professional AGM Automotive BCI Group 48 Battery
Return on investment is all about value. When the value of your product exceeds far and above what you paid in dollars for the product then you win. Buying the ACDelco 48AGM Professional AGM Automotive BCI Group 48 Battery is a win-win situation. ACDelco designed and manufactured this affordable battery for the value-oriented customer, by offering a 36 month free replacement period. The vent cap and the glass mat separator are designed to work together to insure against acid leakage, making it the best winch battery. This battery comes with a Calcium lead positive grid creating a free-flowing path of electrical current which will pay big dividends. Sealed with a high density negative paste, the battery loans you long-term life usage. Its robust envelope separator increases the electric circulation supply to guard against short circuit situations.
- High density negative paste, improves performance and increases battery life
- Enhanced life alloy/Silver Calcium stamped alloy increases cycle life and improves performance
- Calcium lead positive grid, maximizes conductivity and allows for low resistance
- Robust envelope separator with puncture resistant back, allows for increased acid circulation and prevents shorts. Improved acid circulation, helps the battery to remain cool, and extend battery life
- Vent cap design that resists acid leakage
The battery practically eliminates acid spills, which is a positive maintenance free attribute.
5. Exide Edge FP-AGML4/94R Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery
Are you taking what they’re giving when you’re working for a living? Well, if you’re driving for a living, then your battery has to give your vehicle a lot and then some. Geared towards customers who use a vehicle all year round to deliver items such as groceries and newspapers, the Exide Edge FP-AGML4/94R Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery is tailor-made for person who drives stop and go for eight hours a day or more. Giving 800 Cold Cranking Amps, this battery aids those workers who operate a vehicle outside in the winter as a major part of their job, making it the best ATV winch battery. With a Reserve Capacity of 2 hours and 20 minutes, you can count on Exide Edge for those long road trips that have to be traveled. An Absorbed Glass Mat provides a sealing alternative that serves as a great fail safe against acid leakages.
- 800 CCA; 140 MIN RC at 25A
- Non-spillable AGM construction
- Greater capacity to better handle the heavy loads placed on today's batteries
- Outperforms conventional batteries across life test including heavy use stop and go traffic with high electrical demands
- Excels in one of the toughest automotive stress tests proving sustained performance
The battery provides a much longer Reserve Capacity which can handle stop and start driving.
6. XS Power D6500 900 Amp AGM High Output Battery with M6 Terminal Bolt
Are you itching with a need for speed? If your answer is yes, then the XS Power 6500 X Series 12V 3,900 Amp AGM High Output Battery with M6 Terminal Bolt is your weapon of choice. This is a battery with an attitude. The speed in which the XS Power moves voltage places it light years ahead of other battery brands, making it the best battery for winching. Giving a jolt will take on a whole new meaning when placing this battery in your vehicle for driving, winching, or whatever else you want to put the pedal to the medal for. XS Power’s low resistance is its key to reaching off the chart levels of power. Not to mention that its 1070 Cold Cranking Amps is practically record breaking when matched up against competing battery brands. The Absorbed Glass Mat and the valve regulation sustain electrolytes and provides stability and eliminates spills even when the battery is working on an overdrive level. For the risk taker who wants to test the discharge limits, this battery is for you.
- 12 Volt battery with CA: 1070, Ah: 75
- Absorbed Glass Mat (electrolyte is suspended in fiberglass)
- Spill proof, sealed, valve regulated and vibration resistant
- Ultra low internal resistance
- Mount in almost any position
A fantastic battery for those that prefer a decisive and immediate power burst in cold weather climate.
What To Look For In The Best Winch Battery?
Battery Information Overload is a No Go Zone – Separate What’s Relevant from What’s Irrelevant
Walking into an O’Reilly’s Auto Parts store or an AutoZone Auto Parts store doesn’t have to be an overwhelming experience, where you see box after box on the shelves and you don’t know where to begin. Understanding what is most important to your own needs and uses is what matters. The buying guide list below will help you determine this. Go into the store with this knowledge, and there is a good chance you will impress the Sales Representative.
- Fits in Your Vehicle – Knowing the year, make, and model of your vehicle is a great start. This allows you to do a Google search to identity the proper battery of length, width, and height dimensions to place inside your vehicle. If the battery doesn’t fit, then you can’t equip.
- Accommodates Your Driving Method – Some people are defensive drivers that drive the speed limit. Others are aggressive drivers that love getting in the speed lane to pass other vehicles. Then, there is the group of drivers that love to go off the beaten path on to dirt trails. And, let’s not forget about the delivery truck drivers that drive for a living. There is a certain type of battery for every one of these types of drivers.
- Time it Takes to Get Back to Full Strength and Electromotive Force – When a battery charges up in what seems like no time you have the exact battery that you need. Think of the electromotive force as the electric juice that your battery gives to your starter unit and engine. This is also known as volts. The best ATV winch battery is going to supply 12 volts.
- No Extra Work Involved – Just as the song by Stevie Wonders goes, “Sign, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours,” the same is true with a vehicle battery. You will fall in love with a battery it if requires no extra work on your end. A sealed battery means you don’t have to put up with extra baggage such as leaky acid.
- Guarantee – One of your questions when you walk into the store should be about warranty. Find out how many years coverage you get, and if there are any parts within the battery that are not covered under the warranty. Remember, anything that you pay over $150 for should guarantee that you get a reasonable time span of use.
- Withstanding the Cold – Anyone who lives up north and is in the market for a new vehicle battery will want to know if the battery will start in sub-zero temperatures. For cold weather climate customers this is perhaps the first question on a list when walking into an auto parts store. Cold Cranking Amps is the x-factor here. The more Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) the merrier.
- Ability to Discharge Electricity over Long Periods of Time – Cold weather drivers understand the importance of warming a vehicle up before driving it. For sake of argument, let’s say it takes 10 minutes for a vehicle to fully warm up and get to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. At this temperature a reliable battery should be able to supply a consistent current in Amps over a lengthy and extended time period. Also known as “Reserve Capacity,” it is an important unit of measurement to look for on the packaging box of the battery.
- Proportions of the Battery – The size proportions of batteries are classified by category groups. Look for the category group that represents the length, width, and height dimensions of the battery you will need. The best battery for winching will fall into the category groups of 31 or 48.
- Charge Release and Supply Time – A top-level student, an athlete, or as a worker gives all that he or she has for as long as he or she can, maintaining the highest level of energy for as long as possible. Batteries are very similar. Energy is to humans as Amp Hours (AH) is to batteries. Another important unit of measurement on the battery packaging box, the Amp Hours amount for a particular battery will give you an idea as to how much electric current the battery can put out over a considerable duration of time before being out of chemical energy. Amp Hours is calculated by taking the on-going electric current amount and multiplying it by the release time.
- No Spill Zone – A leaky battery is not only messy but harmful. Any battery that you buy should have sealing to protect against acid spills. The six batteries mentioned in this buying guide all include protection against acid spills, but you should always ask the Sales Representative at the auto parts store about the level of quality you will get in acid spill protection from the battery you are considering buying.
- Absorbed Glass Mat vs. Lead-Acid – The battery you select is going to come in either an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) or Lead-Acid. An Absorbed Glass Mat battery is an advanced battery, while a Lead-Acid battery is a regular battery. An Absorbed Glass Mat battery is best equipped for vehicles that have advanced exterior and interior electrical features, and for customers who frequently plug their accessories in, such as cell phone chargers. If you are concerned about even the slightest possibility of acid spills, then the Absorbed Glass Mat battery is the one for you. Lead-Acid batteries have a series of flat lead plates. Each of these plates is submerged in electrolytes. A Lead-Acid battery will offer you plenty of electric current. However, these batteries are heavy and they typically have slower charge times. It is, however, a great battery to put in a golf cart.
Decide Between Deep Cycle, Car, or Dual Purpose Battery Types
These three battery types may or may not work in your favor, depending on what you are looking to accomplish. Don’t forget to discuss these battery types with the Sales Representative. Find out which of the three batteries below is the best one for your vehicle before making a purchasing decision.
- Deep Cycle Battery – These batteries are constructed with wider plate parts made of a sturdy substance. You will get a smaller electrical current flow over longer time intervals. Because of this, a Deep Cycle battery will be able to handle constant charges and discharges with greater superiority over and above what a standard car battery will handle.
- Car Battery – Manufactured with narrower lead cell sheets and aggressive components for efficiency, car batteries are perfect for energy transmission through a level space area. They will prompt quick jolts of electrical energy to get your engine up and running. What is nice about these batteries is that they don’t use up all their energy. An alternator assists this battery in charging it back up. A car battery is the not the best for continuous power withdrawal over an expanded time duration.
- Dual Purpose Battery – This battery falls between what a deep cycle battery and what a car battery will offer in terms of the electrical jolt that it provides. This energy charge accommodation is what makes it the best ATV winch battery.
The battery that you buy has to be a battery that your vehicle can accommodate, and be a battery that can accomplish the tasks that you are looking to do. Outdoor people who operate ATV/UTV vehicles will benefit from using a dual purpose battery. Settle for nothing less than a three year warranty. Your financial investment into the battery deserves to be protected for that long. A vehicle that has advanced interior engineering and electrical features will perform best if an Absorbed Glass Mat battery is in that vehicle. Cold weather drivers must have a battery that offers sufficient Cold Cranking Amps, or the vehicle will have difficulty starting in temperatures near, at, or below zero. Look for a battery that will discharge Amp current over a longer time frame (e.g., over 90 minutes), that will have ample Amp Hours to put out plenty of energy before internal energy exhaustion takes place, and that will charge up as fast as possible.
About the Author
James Gautier is a professional blogger. He has worked with several renowned ATV companies. Now he decided to write blogs about ATV manufacture, parts, batteries etc to let his audience know more about the things.